Skip to content

Are you in a violent situation and need help?

Call 0733948296

What is domestic violence?

The Law on preventing and combating domestic violence No 217/2003, republished with amendments, defines domestic violence as "any intentional inaction or action of physical, sexual, psychological, economic, social, spiritual or cyber violence, which occurs in the family or domestic environment or between spouses or ex-spouses, as well as between current or former partners, regardless of whether the aggressor lives or has lived with the victim".

A victim of domestic violence is a person who is prevented by a family member from exercising their fundamental rights and freedoms.

Domestic violence

The first and most important thing is to seek help. Whether you call a friend or a family member, call the police or go to the hospital, it is important to seek help as soon as possible.

Call 112 (The single nationwide emergency number that can be called from all public telephone networks) or to the nearest police station. It is important to do this primarily for your safety but also to identify and catch the perpetrator. Calling the police as soon as possible increases the chances that the perpetrator will be identified and that the police will be able to identify the perpetrator and collect as much evidence as possible that can be used later in the criminal investigation.

Sexual assault

The first and most important thing is to seek help.

Whether you call a friend or a family member, call the police or go to the hospital, it is important to seek help as soon as possible.

What can you do if you have been harrassed?

If you are the victim of such an act, call the police and file a complaint. Be aware that the incident must be reported within a maximum of 3 months from the date it happened!!!

It is good to have as much evidence as possible, such as witnesses, photos, recordings.

What can you do if you have been discriminated?

Discrimination is prohibited by law but unfortunately many persons are still discriminated in various forms. If you are a victim of discrimination, you should know that the law (mainly O.G. 137/2000) gives you several possibilities to ask for the sanctioning of the perpetrator, the restoration of the previous situation and you can even get compensation.

It is important to know that in some cases discrimination and even incitement to discrimination can be crimes, such as abuse of office, incitement to hatred or discrimination.

What can you do if you have experienced a form of cyber violence or revenge porn

In our legislation cybercrime does not exist, but it can take the form of the following crimes, which are committed by means of infoormation and communication technologies (email, social media, internal work chats, etc.):

  • threats,

  • blackmail,

  • harassment (messages received on social media, private or public, that cause fear through their frequency or content),

  • sexual harassment,

  • child pornography,

  • violation of privacy (revenge porn),

  • violating the privacy of correspondence.

Other useful information if you are a survivor of gender-based violence

The formulation of the preliminary complaint is necessary for the following crimes:

  • Threat, harassment, sexual harassment, violation of private life, violation of the secret of the correspondent type, rape and sexual aggression.

  • In the situation where the victim of rape or sexual assault is a minor, it is not necessary to file a prior complaint, only reporting or self-reporting to the police is sufficient.

It is important to make a complaint if you are the victim of a crime. In the cases mentioned in letter a), you must file a complaint within 3 months of the occurrence of the act, if you file too late, it is possible that the perpetrator will remain unpunished. It is important to know that the complaint must include: the name, surname, personal numerical code, quality and domicile of the petitioner, description of the act that forms the subject of the complaint, as well as the indication of the perpetrator and the means of proof, if known.

It can be filed at any police station or Prosecutor's Office, but it would be best to file the complaint at the police station/prosecutor's office in the radius of the place where the act was committed, as a rule, this will be the competent entity to investigate the case. Ask for the registration number of the complaint and possibly to be told the file number later so that you can track what is happening with your file.

This site uses cookies

In order to provide you with the best browsing experience we use cookies. If you disagree with this, you may withdraw your consent by changing the settings on your browser.

More info